Supply chain disruptions don’t appear to be going away anytime soon. The culprit? Business closures in various industries such as manufacturing, logistics, and retail; labor shortages; growing consumer demand; trade restrictions; increased shipping costs; and Just-in-Time (JIT) inventory and manufacturing management. Out of these, the only one not outside of businesses’ control is JIT inventory management. When coupled with increasing costs and lack of visibility into the process (in fact, in a recent study, 62% of companies reported having “limited visibility” into the workings of their supply chains), more and more businesses are moving away from working with multiple logistics partners to single sourcing.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
What is single sourcing?
This type of logistics approach designates one company to handle all logistics considerations in your supply chain. Depending on the complexity of the supply chain, there can easily be half a dozen or more service suppliers involved in an entire supply chain. They may include:
- Trucking companies
- Ocean carrier shipping companies
- Drayage service providers
- Warehouse operators
- Customs agents and officials
- Project managers
- And more
Dealing with multiple service providers can be cumbersome and expensive, for companies of any size. Having one company as a single point of contact who deals with each provider – who blends asset-based strength with a national reach – creates a clear chain of responsibility and accountability. With single source logistics, businesses can expect greater efficiency, enhanced agility, and better results.
Some additional benefits of single source logistics include:
- Reduced soft costs: Eliminate multiple phone calls to different suppliers, logistics companies, and their internal team members. Additionally, administrative time and associated costs are significantly reduced due to the eradication of rework and day-to-day tasks.
- Opportunities for reduced hard costs: A single source provider has the advantage of understanding your entire supply chain – not just part of it. This holistic view is essential in evaluating opportunities for cost reduction.
- Enhanced visibility: A single source partner will have the tools and technology to give their clients invaluable insights for better, faster decision-making.
- Increased confidence: By holding one company accountable, businesses will have peace of mind that their projects are being managed effectively.
- Ease of billing: Streamlined costs and accurate invoices can be expected when working with one company.
- A true supply chain program: Because single source providers often have access to both owned assets and a network of assets around the world, clients can receive quality service in even remote areas.
How GWS can help:
GWS provides a complete solution – from planning to execution – to our clients. From planning to warehousing programs to delivery and installation to project management, GWS manages the complexity of supply chain for clients in a variety of industries. With owned assets in the Midwest and a global network of service centers, GWS’ strategic footprint positions our clients for success. Our proprietary LINKTM technology gives real-time project status 24/7, with photo documentation and custom reporting to enable fast, data-driven decisions. And with one dedicated team focused on success, clients’ paths are cleared for project excellence, no matter the level of complexity.
Share your logistics challenges with our experts and we will show you how we can help you overcome them.